Everyone is different; recovery is not a one size fits all approach. You could be seeking relief from minor aches and pains, using it for recovery in between exercising or other strenuous activity or maybe you're not even injured, maybe you're interested in what it can do for Skin Care or Weight Loss? The cryotherapy treatment frequency is going to change from person to person depending on your specific needs. Questions that you should ask yourself before deciding on a schedule are:
- What are your goals/What benefits are you after?
- What is realistic to you financially?
- How often are you working out/doing other strenuous activity?
- How often are you out of town?
- What are your goals/What Benefits are you After?
What you need to know about Cryotherapy, is that it is most effective when it’s used as a relatively continuous treatment, in partnership with physical therapies or physical activity. It helps the healing process by speeding up recovery and allowing the body to rebuild itself after injury and hard work more efficiently.
As you probably know already, going to the gym once is not going to achieve anything spectacular. You can stay the same thing about putting lotion on dry skin, brushing your teeth, and we know that some medication takes time to build up a presence in your body before you see any side effects from them. Cryotherapy works in much of the same way. Consistency of use based on your needs is key in allowing Cryotherapy to make a difference in your life, either through metabolism, skin care, injury, fat loss etc, So what should your Cryotherapy treatment frequency be?
Cryotherapy Treatment Frequency
A single session of Cryotherapy is enough for instant relief from inflammation and soreness and is good for an energy boost that will last you the rest of the day. Three minutes of treatment and you are on your way to pain relief and a productive day.
With three to five sessions of Whole Body Cryotherapy, you will begin to repair damaged body areas as joint pain is alleviated, your total energy level increases and fresh, nutrient-enriched blood continuously floods damaged body areas.
Seven back-to-back treatments will serve as an entire system restart. This is where the body moves from the repair stage to the complete rehabilitation stage. Seven sessions can jumpstart weight-loss, speed up post-surgical recovery and especially benefit postpartum mothers. The ultimate system cleanse.
How Cryotherapy works in Simple Terms
The extremely cold cloud of nitrogen in the chamber tricks your body into thinking the weather has changed drastically and it’s in sudden, unexpected danger. This is essentially a way of forcing your body into a type of preservation mode. Your brain signals to the rest of your body to rush blood to your core for protection. This increases your body heat (and your metabolism). After it’s over, the hormone enriched blood rushes back out and through the rest your body, boosting immunity, cell renewal, and acting as a natural pain and inflammation reliever.
Click here to learn more about the Science of Cryotherapy
First Time Cryotherapy Users / Cryotherapy for Athletic Performance
New Full Body Cryotherapy users should aim for a Cryotherapy Treatment Frequency of 6-10 Cryotherapy sessions in close succession. If you want to receive the full body and mind benefits from cryotherapy regulars should do their best to aim for 1-2 Full Body Cryotherapy sessions per week to keep their Full Body Cryotherapy results.
If you are just starting Cryotherapy you may want to consider getting 6-10 sessions in close together, coming consistently once or twice a week.
Your Goal should be to achieve the system Reset which produces excess amounts of multi-functional and productive hormones and proteins into your body.
The effects are also multiplied when the body is circulating at a highly productive level with full transport and delivery to all organs and extremities by means of vasoconstriction/increased blood flow.
After the short cryotherapy stimulation, the effects last from six to eight hours, where the muscle spasticity is being reduced, also, when you feel endorphins and adrenaline release.
Recovering From Surgery
If you are recovering from a surgery or an injury an increased Cryotherapy Treatment Frequency of 3-5 times a week is advised. The more often you use Cryotherapy the more it will help alleviate the inflammation and help the body rejuvenate.
Reduced Inflammation is done through the process of vasoconstriction-the restriction of blood to everything but the core and this effect will Benefit the user in 2 ways,
- Excess fluid in an injured area can lead Veins to erupt and even damage surrounding tissue – reducing inflammation can help prevent this.
- Some of the Hormones that are naturally in the injured area specifically make nerve endings more sensitive, which causes heightened pain, therefore Cryotherapy reduces pain by reducing the amount of these hormones present in the injured area
Body Rejuvenation is done through the release of key reconstruction Hormones such as Testosterone, Human Growth Hormone, & Insulin. Your body releases these hormones during Cryotherapy as a preemptive response to the insane temperatures in the chamber-your body is basically preparing itself from what it thinks is a high chance of frost bite to some areas of itself..
Cryotherapy can help your body heal up to 3x’s faster, but is no substitute for proper rest, nutrition, and physical therapy, rather they should all be used together.
Some people just can’t get enough of Cryotherapy and have a regular Cryotherapy Treatment Frequency of 5-7 days a week for their first 3 months. After the 3rd month period, they change to once a week for a “maintenance month” and then again back to 3 months of intensive use of 5-7 times a week.
This is because, your body gains a sort of immunity to Cryotherapy after 3 months that is why there is a maintenance month, the up side of this is that your body retains the benefits of Cryotherapy use for a full 3 months after this happens, So that means less cost and time to you. Even if you Completely stop using Cryotherapy regularly for a while having a “Maintenance Month” Prevents any decline in the elevated state of your body (similar to how working out helps keep you from losing your muscle mass).
This is a cycle that a great deal of cryo users commit to, to gain all the benefits of Cryotherapy they possibly can. Of course this seems like a huge commitment, but if you push your body to the limits and work hard, you must restore it accordingly..
Weight Loss & Metabolism
Another benefit is that in one month you can reasonably anticipate losing eight to 10 pounds if you use cryotherapy along with proper nutrition and exercise. One pound of body fat is equivalent to 3,500 calories.
To lose two pounds per week, you must drop 1,000 calories per day.
Weight Loss varies greatly from person to person-obviously if you’re trying to lose more weight it’s going to take a longer time over all and you’re going to need more Cryotherapy Sessions of course too. Just for fun let’s break down how many exactly.
Humans have several types of fat. White fat stores extra energy. Too much white fat, a characteristic of obesity, increases the risk of type 2 diabetes and other diseases. Brown fat, in contrast, burns chemical energy to create heat and help maintain body temperature. Researchers have previously shown that, in response to cold, white fat cells in both animals and humans take on characteristics of brown fat cells.
More Readily Usable Brown Fat and less white fat = Good for weight loss. The use of Cold Therapy increases Brown Fat and in turn increases your metabolism.
Aside from this, the surface of your body gets as cold as 32 F while in the chamber, forcing your body to warm you back up, which usually takes 75-90 minutes to do so, and in this time your body burns a whopping 500-800 calories in the process.
So Basically, you get a boosted metabolism and you’re able to get the equivalent of an hour of running on a treadmill (500-800 Calories Burned) in just 3 minutes in the Cryo Chamber-although you wont get some of the other benefits like stronger legs or lungs, you will get the benefits of increased hormone production and blood flow. .
So Ultimately Cryotherapy Treatment Frequency will vary greatly here, if you’re looking to lose 8 pounds in a month, that’s very reasonable – and Cryotherapy will GREATLY aid you in getting there.
Keep in mind that while 500-800 calories is a lot, it’s far from all you have to do to lose weight. You will still need to engage in healthy eating and proper sleep habits, as you’ll still need to be at a calorie deficit, and you’ll still need to keep stress under control to lose weight.
Skin Care, Beauty, & Longevity
We’ve clumped these together for convenience- Lets First take a look at the Benefits:
- Clear Skin: Regular Whole Body Cryotherapy users with acne problems notice fewer skin blemishes over time. Those who have acne scars might also be pleasantly surprised by a reduction of their appearance.
- Less Toxins: Weekly cryo treatment sessions help expel toxin deposits, leaving your skin clear of skin blemishes, radiant and enriched with natural nutrients.
- Cellular Regeneration: This is a crucial entry on our list of 10 cryotherapy skin rejuvenation benefits for those looking for safe all natural anti-aging solutions. Cryo skin treatment sessions speed up the natural biological cell regeneration process, efficiently eliminating dead cells in favor of new ones.
- Improved Collagen Production: Cryosauna treatments trigger an increased production of collagen, resulting in smoother, tighter, more even skin tone. This, in turn, reduces visible signs of aging.
- Less Wrinkles: Regular cryotherapy skin rejuvenation treatments help improve and reduce the appearance of fine wrinkles as a result of regenerated cells and enhanced collagen production.
- Cellulite Reduction: Sure, 3 cryo skin rejuvenation sessions won’t eliminate the visually unappealing fat deposits better known as cellulite. However, regular Whole Body Cryo treatments at our Cryotherapy Health & Wellness Inc. center have shown promising results in stimulating weight loss by boosting metabolism. This, consequently, helps reduce fat deposits. Improvements in skin elasticity and a decreases appearance of cellulite will then follow.
- Psoriasis, Dermatitis and Eczema Relief: Cryosauna fights the underlying causes of the disease and its development by regulating and normalizing growth of skin cells.
- Anti-Inflammatory Effect: One of the most popular cryo treatment benefits that has been observed across numerous types of health issues, is the reduction in recurrence of internal and external inflammations. Cryosauna helps to soothe skin redness for those with acne problems, and repress inflammatory symptoms of inflammatory diseases, including eczema, dermatitis, psoriasis and even psoriatic arthritis. (Inflammation is also a key cause of the aging process)
- Controlled Autoimmune Process: Weekly cryosauna treatment sessions will help halt the autoimmune process of excessive cell growth in the skin, common in diseases such as eczema, with no side effects.
- Stronger Hair and Nails: As your immune system and general wellness naturally improve thanks to regular cryo treatments, so will your hair and nails that will eventually get fuller and stronger.
So How Often Should I use Cryotherapy for Skin Care & Beauty?
Like Lotions and other Skin Care products In Order to Reap these Health, Beauty, and longevity Benefits, Cryotherapy Treatment Frequency is going to have to be consistent before noticing results, around 20 sessions, but will last for around 3 months post-Cryotherapy use, meaning even if you happen to miss a week you wont have to start over.
The effects of Cryotherapy are potent however, because unlike external products like Lotion, Cryotherapy elicits a natural response that the body is able to make much better use of than an outside application like facial Cream.
Sleep & Energy Production
Just 1 Session is enough to impact your Sleep for the night. With more increased Cryotherapy Treatment Frequency (20+ Sessions) helping aid sleep for up to 3 months post-Cryotherapy use.
Sleep is effected in a number of ways by cryotherapy. One of those is the release of feel good endorphins and an increased production of norepinephrine. The endorphins, once in your bloodstream, will act as an analgesic, decreasing any sensations of pain, and simultaneously acting as a mild sedative. Norepinephrine is a hormone and neurotransmitter that affects your sleep-wake cycle and has dramatic effects on energy, focus, mood, and sleep patterns. Which means that this change in your body directly affects how well you sleep!
Additionally your body is able to produce more energy through a more efficient metabolism (brown fat, Mitochondria, nutrient absorption), as was stated earlier in the above section under Weight Loss.
Depression & Anxiety
Just Like with sleep, a single session is enough to change the chemicals involved in your brain enough to greatly improve your mood.
“For the treatment of depression, it is suggested that cold exposure therapies may be the best choice. … It has also been shown that lowering the temperature of the brain is known to have neuroprotective and therapeutic effects and can relieve inflammation, a known mechanism in depressive illness”
Cryotherapy effects Anxiety & Depression in a very similar way to that of getting proper exercise. Your body releases key hormones into that help balance out the brain and allow healthy thoughts and self esteem.
Choosing the Right Cryotherapy Treatment Frequency
Finally, when choosing the right recovery plan for you it’s important that it is tailored to you and your situation, whatever that may be.
If you have any questions feel free to Contact us, and we’ll get back to you ASAP with a Cryotherapy Treatment Frequency recommendation based on your unique Goals & Needs.
If you’re looking for additional articles check out the Cryotherapy Blog Home Page
& Happy Researching!
-IceHouse Team ❄